Thursday, March 15, 2012

Update

so we had our WTF with our regular clinic yesterday. Dr. said that he wouldn't change the protocol because other than not getting pregnant, it was a successful cycle. (13 eggs, 12 , fert, 8 on day 5, 1 expanded blast transfered, 4 grade 2 blasts frozen). He does want to do genetic testing of the blasts and for that procedure they do vitrify the embryos for cryo because there is no fresh transfer. They would biopsy the embryos that make it to blast and then freeze them all. Once we get the results of the biopsy, they will then do a frozen transfer about 8 weeks later of the normal embryos. I was really concerned that our clinic does not do vitrification because the survival rate is a lot better that way. That is why we decided to do a consult with CCRM. However, our clinic does do vitrification for the CGH genetic testing, so we felt a lot better. 

I was underwhelmed by my CCRM consult. The doc just seemed uninterested. He did say that he would use the same protocol also because It seemed to work well the first time. He also recommended CGH due to the severe MFI and the 2 failed cycles. He also recommended a HSG which I haven't had before. He said that blocked tubed can cause a backup of toxic fluid in the uterus and impede IVF implantation. He also recommended a biopsy of the endometrial lining, but at our WTF my doc said it wasn't a great test, that it is painful and not a great predictor, and wouldn't really change a lot anyway.

So I called my clinic today and they agreed to do the HSG. They also gave us a few financial incentives to help keep our business since we are 100% out of pocket and the CGH is pretty expensive.

Now we have to decide whether to get DH back on the meds for the very small chance of fresh sperm at retrieval while delaying our next cycle 6 months, or do we rely on our frozen stash which we will likely use anyway and cycle in June. 


Any and all opinions, thoughts, advise welcome!

4 comments:

  1. CGH? I'm having to get similar testing (but without the vitrification...day 5 testing, day 6 transfer) because DH and I are both carriers for spinal muscular atrophy.

    ReplyDelete
  2. comparative genomic hybridization. or CCS comprehensive chromosomal screening. It sounds like for you they know what they are looking for so it can be done more quickly. For us, they are just looking for anything that might be there so the test takes about 2 weeks they say. Good luck to you!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I had both an HSG and an endometrial biopsy in December (after 2 failed cycles). The thought with my Dr. was that they ofter clear up any bad stuff, and the biopsy (not for testing purposes) scratches up the lining promoting healthy new growth. I wrote a post about it called implantation failure and included one of the studies I had read a week or two ago. I do believe both of these things helped.
    As far as the FET....my dr. always said to use all your frozen eggs first (and I have seen other girls say the same), that the FETs are so much less stressful on your body, better to try than to put your body through hell again. And some people actually have better success with frozen just because of the less stress on the body.
    Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am sorry you were less than impressed with CCRM. I think that it is great that they would not suggest changing your protocol, but they would include additional testing. It would give me some peace of mind that your clinic has you on the "right protocol."

    I agree that a HSG, CGH, and a biopsy of the endometrial lining could give you more information. Have you thought about doing any testing for autoimmune disorders (NK cells, etc.) or blood clotting disorders? I know it can get expensive, but it may be worth the cost.

    Even though CCRM was less than impressive at least it has given your clinic the heads up you can and would leave at anytime, resulting in you receiving a financial incentive to stay with them!

    GL with your decision! (((Huge Hugs)))

    ReplyDelete